Volume 9, no. 1Pages 92 - 104
Determination of Locations in Corporate Wi-Fi NetworksS.V. Malodushev, A.A. Rogov
First of all, the article examines three issues: the existing algorithms for localizing mobile devices; indoor wireless propagation models; and limitations of applying these algorithms and models to mobile device localization. Secondly, it suggests a method for localizing mobile devices within corporate Wi-Fi networks with dynamic properties. The method is based on the ITU R 1238 indoor radio path loss model. Mobile devices are localized through their signal level registered by base stations. The localization is performed relative to the edge connecting two base stations. This is why such localization requires a minimum number of base stations. The criteria for selecting the necessary edge are described in the article. Previous settings and calibration of mobile devices are not required. For this reason, the method can be used without location-based services. Furthermore, it is applicable to any Wi-Fi networks whose base stations can measure the signal level of mobile devices. The tests show that the method successfully localizes mobile devices in a number of cases. Full text
- location algorithms; dynamic properties; ITU-R 1238; RSS; Wi-Fi.
- 1. Voronov R.V., Galov A.S., Moshhevikin A.P., Voronova A.M. [On Indoor Object's Trajectory Trace Adjustments to Building's Floor Plan]. Uchenye Zapiski Petrozavodskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta [Proceedings of Petrozavodsk State University], 2015, no. 2, pp. 87-91. (in Russian)
2. Karimi H.A. Advanced Location-Based Technologies and Services. CRC Press, 2013. 354 p. DOI: 10.1201/b14940
3. Miniahmetov R.M., Rogov A.A., Cymbler M.L. The Survey of Indoor Positioning Algorithms for Mobile Devices. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Computational Mathematics and Software Engineering, 2013, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 83-96. (in Russian)
4. Assur O.S., Filaretov G.F. Issledovanie Tochnosti Sistemy Wi-Fi Pozicionirovanija, Postroennoy s Ispol'zovaniem Metoda K-blizhayshih Sosedey. Computer networks, theory and practice, 2013, no. 2. Available at: http://network-journal.mpei.ac.ru/cgi-bin/main.pl?l=ru&n=23&pa=7&ar=1 (accessed 27 March 2015).
5. Voronov R.V., Malodushev S.V. [Dynamic Creation of Wifi-Signal Level Maps for Location Systems]. Systems and Means of Informatics, 2014, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 80-92. (in Russian)
6. Malodushev S.V. Research on the Dependences of the Rss Values from Different Wifi Devices in the Line-of-Sight Range. Modern Problems of Science and Education, 2014, no. 5. Available at: http://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=15038 (accessed 29 March 2015).
7. So J., Lee J., Yoon C., Park H. An Improved Location Estimation Method for Wi-Fi Fingerprint-Based Indoor Localization. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 2013, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 77-86.
8. Pathak O., Palaskar P., Palkar R., Tawari M. Wi-Fi Indoor Positioning System Based on RSSI Measurements from Wi-Fi Access Points. A Tri-Lateration Approach. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 2014, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1234-1238.
9. Bose A., Foh C.H. A Practical Path Loss Model For Indoor Wi-Fi Positioning Enhancement. Information, Communications & Signal Processing, Singapore, 2007, pp. 1-5.
10. Sadiki T., Paimblanc P. Modelling New Indoor Propagation Models for WLAN Based on Empirical Results. 11th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation, Cambridge, 2009, pp. 585-588. DOI: 10.1109/uksim.2009.112
11. Japertas S., Orzekauskas S. Investigation of Wi-Fi Indoor Signals Under LOS and NLOS Conditions. International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications, 2012, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 26-32.
12. Japertas S., Slanys R. Research of IEEE 802.11 Standard Signal Propagation Features in Multi Floor Buildings. Elektronika i Elektrotechnika, 2013, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 101-104. DOI: 10.5755/j01.eee.19.8.5404
13. Salekh Kh.M. Mobile Systems of Information Services Positioning Objects. Dissertation of PhD in Engeneering Science, 2013, Vladimir. 132 p.
14. Constambeys T., Laoudias C., Zeinalipour D., Panayiotou C. Low-Effort Indoor Radiomap Data Collection and Geolocation on Smartphones. International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, Korea, 2014, p. 4.
15. Starcev C.C. Modeli Rasprostranenija Signala Wi-Fi [Conferences System]. 2013. Available at: http://conf.nsc.ru/files/conferences/MIT-2013/fulltext/146127/151267/Startsev.pdf (accessed 1 February 2015).