Volume 15, no. 2Pages 100 - 110
A Method for Machine-Readable Zones Location Based on a Combination of the Hough Transform and the Search for Feature PointsB.I. Savelyev, N.S. Skoryukina, V.V. Arlazarov
This article describes a method for machine-readable zones location in document images based on a combination of the Hough transform and the search for feature points. The search for feature points, filtering, and clustering using the Hough transform are described step-by-step. In addition to the machine-readable zone location, we develop a solution for determining the orientation of the zone. This method is designed to meet the requirements for real-time operation on mobile devices. The paper presents the results of measuring the quality of the method on an open synthetic dataset and the operating time on mobile devices. An experimental study on an artificial dataset show that the proposed algorithm allows to achieve a quality of 0,82 in terms of the mean value of the Jaccard indices. The operating time of the proposed algorithm for machine-readable zone location on a mobile device is 6 ms on the iPhone SE 2.Full text
- machine-readable zone; image analysis; mobile OCR; recognition algorithms.
- 1. ICAO Doc 9303 Machine Readable Travel. International Civil Aviation Organization, Seventh Edition, Parts 2-7, 2015.
2. Bessmeltsev V., Bulushev E., Goloshevsky N. Highspeed OCR Algorithm for Portable Passport Readers. Graphicon, no. 11, 2011, pp. 25-29.
3. Visilter Y.V., Zheltov S.Y., Lukin A.A. Development of OCR System for Portable Passport and Visa Reader. Proceedings of SPIE, 1999, no. 3651, pp.194-199.
4. Bulatov K.B., Polevoy D.V., Ilin D.A., Chernyshova Y.S. [Problems of Machine-Readable Zone Recognition Captured with Digital Mobile Cameras]. Proceedings of ISA RAN, 2015, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 85-93. (in Russian)
5. Arlazarov V.V., Zhukovsky A., Krivtsov V., Nikolaev D., Polevoy D. [Analysis of Using Stationary and Mobile Small-Scale Digital Video Cameras for Document Recognition]. Information Technologies and Computation Systems, 2014, no. 3, pp. 71-78. (in Russian)
6. Bulatov K., Matalov D., Arlazarov V.V. MIDV-2019: Challenges of the Modern Mobile-Based Document OCR. Proceedings of SPIE, 2020, no. 11433, pp. 717-722.
7. Konovalenko I.A., Shemiakina J.A., Faradjev I.A. [Calculation of a Vanishing Point by the Maximum Likelihood Estimation Method]. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Mathematical Modelling, Programming and Computer Software, 2020, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 107-117. (in Russian)
8. Xiangrong C., Yuille A.L. Detecting and Reading Text in Natural Scenes. Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2004, vol. 2, pp. II-366-II-373.
9. Petrova O., Bulatov K. Methods of Machine-Readable Zone Recognition Results Post-Processing. Proceedings of SPIE, 2019, no. 11041, pp. 387-393.
10. Kwon Y., Kim J. Recognition Based Verification for the Machine Readable Travel Documents. International Workshop on Graphics Recognition, Curitiba, Brazil, 2007.
11. Kwang-Baek K., Sungshin K. A Passport Recognition and Face Verification Using Enhanced Fuzzy ART Based RBF network and PCA Algorithm. Neurocomputing, 2008, pp. 3202-3210.
12. Martin-Rodriguez F. Automatic Optical Reading of Passport Information. 2014 International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology, Rome, 2014, pp. 1-4.
13. Lee H., Kwak N. Character Recognition for the Machine Reader Zone of Electronic Identity Cards. 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Quebec City, 2015, pp. 387-391.
14. Hartl A., Arth C., Schmalstieg D. Real-Time Detection and Recognition of Machine-Readable Zones with Mobile Devices. VISAPP 2015 - 10th International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, 2015, pp. 79-87.
15. Harris C., Stephens M. A Combined Corner and Edge Detector. Alvey Vision Conference, Manchester, 1988, 50 p.
16. Lepetit V., Fua P. Towards Recognizing Feature Points using Classification Trees. Technical Report IC/2004/74, 2004, 13 p.
17. Lukoyanov A., Nikolaev D., Konovalenko I. Modification of YAPE Keypoint Detection Algorithm for Wide Local Contrast Range Images. Proceedings of SPIE, 2018, vol. 10696, pp. 305-312.
18. Nikolaev D.P., Nikolaev I.P., Nikolaev P.P., Karpenko S.M. Hough Transform: Underestimated Tool in the Computer Vision Field. European Conference on Modelling and Simulation, 2008, pp. 238-243.
19. Fan B., Kong Q., Trzcinski T., Wang Z., Pan C., Fua P. Receptive Fields Selection for Binary Feature Description. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2014, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 2583-2595.
20. Smart 3D OCR MRZ v.1.0. Available at: https://smartengines.ru/smart-mrzreader/ (accessed 24 May 2021).