Volume 15, no. 3Pages 5 - 18
System Analysis of Classification of Prime Knots and Links in Thickened Surfaces of Genus 1 and 2A.A. Akimova
In this paper, we present a system analysis of approaches to classification of prime knots and links in thickened surfaces of genus 1 and 2 obtained by the author in collaboration with S.V. Matveev and V.V. Tarkaev in 2012 - 2020. The algorithm of the classification forms structure of the present paper. The results of classification are considered within system analysis of the main ideas of key steps of the algorithm. First, we construct prime projections. To this end, we define a prime link projection, enumerate graphs of special type which embedding in the surface can be a prime projection, enumerate projections in the surface, and show that all obtained projections are prime and not equivalent using some invariants of projections. Second, we construct prime links. To this end, we define a prime link, construct a preliminary set of diagrams, use invariants of links to form equivalence classes of the obtained diagrams and show that the resulting diagrams are not equivalent, and prove primality of the obtained links. At that, at each step, the used methods and the introduced objects are characterized from viewpoints of two cases (genus 1 and 2), and we distinguish properties that are common for both cases or characteristics of only one of two cases. Note consolidated tables, which systematize the classified projections with respect to their properties: generative graph, genus, number of components and crossings, existence and absence of bigon that simplifies the further work with the proposed classification of projections and links.Full text
- prime projection; knot; link; thickened torus; thickened surface of genus 2; generalised Kauffman bracket polynomial; Kauffman bracket frame; tabulation; classification.
- 1. Hoste J., Thistlethwaite M., Weeks J. The First 1,701,936 Knots. The Mathematical Intelligencer, 1998, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 33-47.
2. Rolfsen D. Knots and Links. Berkeley, Publish or Perish, 1976.
3. Bar-Natan D. tThe Hoste-Thistlethwaite Link Table. Available at: http://katlas.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed on July 25, 2020).
4. Gabrovsek B., Mroczkowski M. Knots in the Solid Torus up to 6 Crossings. Journal of Knot Theory and Its Ramifications, 2012, vol. 21, no. 11, article ID: 1250106, 43 p. DOI: 10.1142/S0218216512501064
5. Matveev S.V., Nabeeva L.R. Tabulating Knots in the Thickened Klein Bottle. Siberian Mathematical Journal, 2016, vol. 57, issue 3, pp. 542-548. DOI: 10.1134/S0037446616030174
6. Gabrovsek B. Tabulation of Prime Knots in Lens Spaces. Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics, 2017, vol. 14, no. 2, article ID: 88, 24 p. DOI: 10.1007/s00009-016-0814-5
7. Green J. tA Table of Virtual Knots. Available at: http://katlas.math.toronto.edu/wiki/ (accessed on July 25, 2018).
8. Stenlund E. tClassification of Virtual Knots. Available at: http://evertstenlund.se/knots/Virtual%20Knots.pdf (accessed on July 25, 2020).
9. Akimova A.A., Matveev S.V. Classification of Genus 1 Virtual Knots Having at Most Five Classical Crossings. Journal of Knot Theory and Its Ramifications, 2014, vol. 23, no. 6, article ID: 1450031. DOI: 10.1142/S021821651450031X.
10. Akimova A.A. Classification of Prime Knots in the Thickened Surface of Genus 2 Having Diagrams with at Most 4 Crossings. Journal of Computational and Engineering Mathematics, 2020, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 32-46. DOI: 10.14529/jcem200103
11. Drobotukhina Yu.V. Classification of Links in R P^3 with at Most Six Crossings. Notes of Scientific Seminars POMI, 1991, vol. 193, pp. 39-63. (in Russian)
12. Akimova A.A. Mathematical Modelling of Biology Processes Based on the Table of Prime Links in the Solid Torus up to 4 Crossings. Journal of Physics, 2021, vol. 1847, article ID: 012025, 12 p. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1847/1/012025
13. Akimova A.A., Matveev S.V., Tarkaev V.V. Classification of Links of Small Complexity in the Thickened Torus. Proceedings of the Steklov Institute of Mathematics, 2018, vol. 303, no. 12, pp. 12-24. DOI: 10.1134/S008154381809002X
14. Akimova A.A., Matveev S.V., Tarkaev V.V. Classification of Prime Links in the Thickened Torus Having Crossing Number 5. Journal of Knot Theory and Its Ramifications, 2020, vol. 29, no. 3, article ID: 2050012, 27 p. DOI: 10.1142/S0218216520500121
15. Akimova A.A. Tabulation of Prime Links in the Thickened Surface of Genus 2 Having Diagrams with at Most 4 Crossings. Journal of Computational and Engineering Mathematics, 2020, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 20-33. DOI: 10.14529/jcem200303
16. Zinn-Justin P., Zuber J.B. Matrix Integrals and the Generation and Counting of Virtual Tangles and Links. Journal of Knot Theory and Its Ramifications, 2004, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 325-355. DOI: 10.1142/S0218216504003172
17. Zinn-Justin P. tAlternating Virtual Link Database. Available at: https://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/pzinn/virtlinks/ (accessed on July 25, 2020).
18. Akimova A.A. Tabulation of Prime Projections of Links in the Thickened Surface of Genus 2 with no More Than 4 Crossings. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Mathematics. Mechanics. Physics, 2020, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 5-14. DOI: 10.14529/mmph200301
19. Akimova A.A. Classification of Prime Projections of Knots in the Thickened Torus of Genus 2 with at Most 4 Crossings. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Mathematics. Mechanics. Physics, 2020, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 5-13. DOI: 10.14529/jcem200103
20. Matveev S.V. Prime Decompositions of Knots in T*I. Topology and its Applications, 2011, vol. 159, no. 7, pp. 1820-1824.
21. Kauffman L.H. State Models and the Jones Polynomial. Topology, 1987, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 395-407.
22. Jones V.F.R. A Polynomial Invariant for Knots via von Neumann Algebra. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, 1985, no. 12, pp. 103-111. DOI: 10.1090/s0273-0979-1985-15304-2
23. Tarkaev V.V. Recognizer of 3D Manifolds. Available at: http://www.matlas.math.csu.ru.V.F.R
24. Akimova A.A. Generalizations of the Kauffman Polynomial for Knots in the Thickened Surface of Genus 2. Chelyabinsk Physical and Mathematical Journal, 2020, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 352-362
25. Dye H.A., Kauffman L.H. Minimal Surface Representations of Virtual Knots and Links. Algebraic and Geometric Topology, 2005, vol. 5, pp. 509-535.
26. Kauffman L.H., Radford D.E. Bi-Oriented Quantum Algebras, and a Generalized Alexander Polynomial for Virtual Links. Available at: arXiv:math/0112280
27. Culler M., Dunfield N.M., Goerner M., Weeks J.R. SnapPy, a Computer Program for Studying the Geometry and Topology of 3-Manifolds. Available at: http://www.math.uic.edu/t3m/SnapPy