Volume 15, no. 3Pages 96 - 110
Simulation of the Vibrations of a Piezoelectric Transducer with a Wrapped Electrode Using the Spectral Element MethodA.N. Shpak, S.A. Siuhina, M.V. Golub
The paper presents an approach to the modelling of the dynamic behavior of a piezoelectric transducer of a complex shape in a three-dimensional case based on the spectral element method. The proposed mathematical model will be a part of the hybrid approach to the modelling of the guided waves excitation and sensing in an elongated structure in a three-dimensional case. Different types of electrodes of piezoelectric transducers as well as various boundary value conditions for the modelling of the actuation and sensing operations are considered. Unknown displacements are approximated with Lagrange polynomials at the Gauss-Legendre-Lobatto nodal points and the system of linear algebraic equations is obtained in terms of the displacement vector and electric potential at the nodal points. The results are compared with the standard finite element calculations provided with the finite-element COMSOL Multiphysics software. The electro-mechanical characteristics of the dynamic behaviour of piezoelectric transducers are analysed depending on the operational conditions and the kind of electrodes. The eigenfrequencies of the piezoelectric transducers are calculated and the corresponding eigenforms are constructed and analysed.Full text
- elastic waves; piezoelectric transducer; wrapped electrode; spectral element method; simulation.
- 1. Rose J.L. Ultrasonic Guided Waves in Solid Media. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
2. Burkov M.V., Eremin A.V., Byakov A.V., Lyubutin P.S., Panin S.V. [Impact Damage Detection in Laminate and Honeycomb CFRPS Using Lamb Wave Ultrasonic Sensing]. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 2021, no. 2, pp. 33-43. (in Russian)
3. Iurlova N.A., Oshmarin D.A., Sevodina N.V., Kovalev I.E. [Modelling the Deformation of a Plate Using Piezoelectric Elements Located on its Surface]. Computational Continuum Mechanics, 2019, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 415-426. (in Russian) DOI: 10.7242/1999-6691/2019.12.4.35
4. Moll J., Schulte R.T., Hartmann B., Fritzen C.-P., Nelles O. Multi-Site Damage Localization in Anisotropic Plate-Like Structures Using an Active Guided Wave Structural Health Monitoring System. Smart Materials and Structures, 2010, vol. 19, no. 4, article ID: 045022. DOI: 10.1088/0964-1726/19/4/045022
5. Giurgiutiu V. Structural Health Monitoring with Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensors. Elsevier Academic Press, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-418691-0.00007-1
6. Glushkov E.V., Glushkova N.V., Golub M.V., Eremin A.A. Resonant Method for Detection and Identification of Delamination in Composite Plates by Elastic Guided Waves. Mechanics of Solids, 2020, no. 6, pp. 865-871. (in Russian) DOI: 10.3103/S0025654420050076
7. Mitra M., Gopalakrishnan S. Guided Wave Based Structural Health Monitoring: a Review. Smart Materials and Structures, 2016, vol. 25, no. 5, article ID: 053001. DOI: 10.1088/0964-1726/25/5/053001
8. Golub M.V., Shpak A.N. Semi-Analytical Hybrid Approach for the Simulation of Layered Waveguide with a Partially Debonded Piezoelectric Structure. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 2019, no. 65, pp. 234-255. DOI: 10.1016/j.apm.2018.08.019
9. Linlin Shia, Yuanguo Zhoua, Jia-Min Wanga, Mingwei Zhuanga, Na Liua, Qing Huo Liu. Spectral Element Method for Elastic and Acoustic Waves in Frequency Domain. Journal of Computational Physics, 2016, no. 327, pp. 19-38. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcp.2016.09.036
10. Glushkov E.V., Glushkova N.V. On the Efficient Implementation of the Integral Equation Method in Elastodynamics. Journal of Computational Acoustics, 2001, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 889-897. DOI: 10.1142/S0218396X01001169
11. Desilets C.S., Powell D.J., Abboud N., Wojcik G.L. Effect of Wraparound Electrodes on Ultrasonic Array Performance. IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 1998, no. 2, pp. 993-997.
12. Moll J., Golub M., Glushkov E., Glushkova N., Fritzen C.-P. Non-Axisymmetric Lamb Wave Excitation by Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensors. Sensors and Actuators: Physical, 2012, no. 174, pp. 113-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.sna.2011.11.008
13. Golub M.V., Shpak A.N., Buethe I., Fritzen C.-P. [Harmonic Motion Simulation and Resonance Frequency Determination for a Piezoelectric Strip-Like Actuator Using High Precision Finite Element Method]. Computational Continuum Mechanics, 2015, no. 4, pp. 397-407. (in Russian) DOI: 10.7242/1999-6691/2015.8.4.34